Saturday, March 7, 2009

The life of "the little sister"

What is it like to grow up with 7 older brothers and 1 younger brother?

My earliest memories are watching all these guys come and go from about 2 ft. tall. I remember that I shared a bedroom on the first floor with Devon and all of my older brothers rooms were upstairs. I remember climbing all of those stairs and when I got to the top, it seemed as if I were in a guys locker room. Don't worry, they were all dressed or at least they had pants on. My mom had issues with modesty until Devon came along. LOL! What I saw was a weight bench, a wrestling mat and guys working out and wrestling. I think there were bunk beds in each of the other 3 bedrooms and surprisingly a clean bathroom. My mom kept things very clean. I don't know how she did it with so many boys.

Dinner time must have been the most interesting time. We had a table that was about 10 feet long and benches on either side. Mom and Dad always sat at the head of each side. If you didn't get enough the first time around then too bad, but....just wait for dessert. Yes, we always had dessert (so very bad). Maybe that is why we all have such a sweet tooth in my family.

I was definitely a tom boy but because I had so many older, beautiful sisters-n-law, I always had to have my makeup on while I played kickball and war. I played my fair share of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. I watched my fair share of Rocky movies. I still had to have my get away time to play barbie or pretend I was a school teacher or a secretary. I loved office supplies and makeup. Those were my obsessions and if I ever got any money, that is what it was spent on.

As I got older, one by one, my brothers left home. So, it became less about having 7 big brothers living at home and became more about my new sisters and nieces and nephews. I loved when they came to visit and loved "dolling up" my nieces.

My brothers have always been good to me except for the occasional chipped tooth or pounding. I still love them anyway.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Life definitely is exciting with brothers. I never had older ones, just four younger brothers to pull the heads off all my barbies or stick bugs under my pillow. I definitely think we are stronger for growing up with all brothers :)

beth said...

I think you got stronger. I just got mean.

beth said...

I'm Kidding!